Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My Response to Her Response

Hi Christina,

Thank You, your words mean a great deal to me; I can hear the birds chirping again.

I know that this is why you took last Friday off; you didn't quit though; thank you.

I appreciate the stats on poorly timed hysterectomies. To be clear though, it's not just the talk of hysterectomy that burns me. Since August, I shared with you my "triangle" of pain and discomfort in my belly and pelvis; you said not to worry. I shared with you the show of mucus and spotting; you asked if I wanted an antibiotic. I shared with you that it felt like I was getting my period, of cramping and of my gut problems; you were not alarmed. I shared with you my pain and anguish and knew there was something wrong enough to request to be scanned again. You scanned me again and this is where we are.

I believe that if I were heard, we may have come to find the cancer had spread in the cervix only, and not to the lymph. We could have nipped this in the bud in September. But now, I am very sick. This is what burns me. At one point I even thought there might be a dead baby inside of me. How weird is that? Not so weird, my body was telling me something was horribly, horribly wrong.

I know more than you about how my body feels; you know more than me about other things. Promise me that you'll listen to the bodies talking to you; telling you that something is not right. Promise me you've learned something from me; that you will add this to your successes.

Treice

1 comment:

Erin said...

Treice,

Thank-you for this gift. I am humbled by your prose, your honesty, your words and your courage. It is so powerful to read how you are keeping your oncologist accountable. It is downright shameful that it is left to you, the patient, to tell her all this. I hope that this gives you a voice to let this anger out and recycle that energy into hope. Behind all anger is hope - if we didn't have hope, than these 'things' wouldn't make us so frickin' angry...

stand up and fight. we are all here with you. willing to do anything in our power to keep you here, with us, and kelly and max. cancer better watch out, because i don't think it has ever seen a fight like it is about to see from you!

you are the strongest, bravest person I know and your grace in all this is unmistakable. your selflessness...striking. every time we speak the first thing you ask is about is mom and her treatment. it means so much to me, and to her, for you to take the time to ask, to care.

but enough about all of us. it is about you now. and from coast to coast, i don't think you could have more love, more hope, more of anything. thinking of you and sending anything good i have your way...