Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Chemo Chair

The Chemo chair sits with three other chemo chairs in a standard hospital room. There is one in each corner; two by the window. The chemo chair is a recliner and comes in hospital green or hospital peach. I like the chair by the window, and because hospital peach reminds me of dirty band-aids, I always try to grab a green chair.

Each room has a full-time nurse who juggles names, birthdates, admin, blood, veins, reactions and bags. She also tolerates patients who are angry with her or with the system. And she tries to understand and assist the patients who are teary eyed and weak.

When starting a chemo session for a patient, sometimes the nurse misses a vein and calls for another nurse; sometimes that nurse misses a vein and calls for another nurse too. Otherwise, as long as everything goes well there's one nurse to four chemo chairs. The nurse, who is usually dressed in nursing clothes or even casual gym clothes, has a special realtionship with her thick, blue, waxy gown and gloves. Each time she hangs a bag of Chemical Therapy, say Carbolplation or Paclitaxol, she must suit up. Just like we do when we're working with Asebestos. The protocol exists in case the bag breaks. If it does, it may burn her or get into her eyes; it may also give her cancer.

Sometimes, I sit and look at the other patients in the other chairs and wonder about them. Sometimes I try to avoid their stares because I know they're looking at me and wondering about me. Sometimes someone who still has their hair and is relatively new to the process stares a lot at everyone else in the room as if to wonder if she too will share our look some day soon.

Sometimes, I get scheduled with a preacher and I listen. Other times I'm with another mother and we talk. Sometimes the ESL patients struggle to understand and everyone wants to help the nurse explain at the same time. Other times, there is one guy in the room who wants to take care of everyone. Most times, though, there is silence among us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do, you must, realize that when this thing is beaten down and laid to rest, and the sun is shining on your face again, that all this must be published so that others who are suffering from cancer and are not able to express what they are going through, can read it and know that someone has articulated for them what is going on. They will be able to hand it over to their loved ones and their community and say "This is it, this is what I am feeling and going through." So few of us are able to express our thoughts and feelings, and it would be a great gift to those who will need to know someone can do it for them.
I love you lots,
Georgette.

Kera said...

I was thinking the same thing. I would be honoured to put it all into book form for you... you have so much to teach and share with those going thru this process, either themselves or watching loved ones. Your perspective is so beautiful... unfettered by worry of saying "the right thing" or not "taking it seriously enough", or even "taking it too seriously"... the insights you share, the visions you explain, the images you create, they're all so vivid and provocative. Thank you for giving all of us this gift.
kera

AppleTree 43 said...

Well, Georgette and Kera already wrote exactly what I was going to say. You have such a wonderful gift of words Treice, and what you write is so real, I felt like I was sitting in the room with 4 chairs myself.
Thank you for sharing, it makes me feel closer to you.
Book ---- then a movie.
Happy Valentines Day my dear friend
Peg